“We were using a different local company and kept having the same issue multiple times a year. We decided to try Northeast Mechanical Services and they were able to quickly locate the root of the issue and resolve it. I am SO thankful. We will be customers for life.”
– Marlies Zwepink, Fort Wayne, IN
Do your dishes look cloudy or spotty when they come out of the dishwasher?
Does your skin feel dry and tight right after you get out of the shower?
Do you find residual shampoo in your hair?
You may need a new water softener.
Most Americans think of water as simply “wet,” but the truth is, there’s a big difference in water hardness.
Hard water has a high amount of dissolved magnesium and calcium. While these minerals are not harmful to your health, they can still cause issues in the home. Mineral deposits can corrode pipes and plumbing fixtures, shorten the life and efficiency of appliances like dishwashers, boilers, washing machines, and hot water heaters.
How Does a Water Softener Work?
A water softener is a filtration system that works to remove hard water. It works like a magnet. The calcium and magnesium are both positively charged molecules so as the hard water pumps through the system, it passes through a filter with negatively charged beads. Since opposites attract, it pulls the minerals from the water, leaving you with soft water.
Signs You Need a Water Softener
The best way to determine if you have hard water is to have it tested. There are DIY testing kits, or professionals willing to come to your home and test your water for you.
However, there are a few obvious signs that you need soft water:
- Mineral Build-Up – Because hard water contains dissolved minerals, these deposits will build up. Look for ugly, stubborn stains on your sinks, toilets, and bathtubs, or white, scaly deposits around your faucets. Mineral deposits can also build up on pots, dinnerware, glassware, or cutlery. A short-term fix is to use white vinegar to clean the surface, remove the stains or buildup. The only long-term solution is a water softener installation in the home.
- Soap Scum Build Up – Hard water makes it more difficult for soap to properly dissolve. Because of this, you often end up with harsh soap scum that is incredibly difficult to remove.
- Stiff Clothes – It also makes soap and laundry detergents less effective. So, you may pull your clothes out of the laundry, and they feel a little rough, scratchy, dull, or smelly. This isn’t because you’re not using the right detergent. It’s because your water isn’t allowing the detergent to do its job.
- Dry Skin & Dull Hair – The minerals in hard water leave your skin and hair dry, flaky, and itchy after showering. They can also block your skin’s pores, and cause pimples, blackheads, or inflammation.
Why You’ll Love Soft Water
As minerals travel through your pipes, they stick, cause buildup, and create problems. This can cause serious damage that soft water can actually reverse.
The best way to treat hard water problems is by softening your system.
- Saves Money – There are several ways soft water will save you money from day one. First, it reduces costly repair bills for your plumbing and appliances. Second, it reduces the amount of soap, shampoo, and detergent you need. It also reduces the amount of energy needed to keep water hot or cold.
- Increased Longevity of Appliances – Washers, bathroom fixtures, and more can be damaged by hard water. Not only does mineral buildup lower the quality and efficiency but also shortens their lifespan.
- Softer Skin and Hair – The minerals in hard water prevent the water from being completely soluble with soaps, this forms a precipitate in the form of soap scum. Eliminate the minerals, and you can enjoy a true, deep lather. Now the expensive products you buy will actually be able to perform as intended.
- Cleaner Dishes – If you open your dishwasher and your dishes are still dirty, it could be due to your water. With hard water, the soaps or detergents you use aren’t able to rinse clean, and you’re left with a cloudy appearance. It fixes the problem at the root.
- Brighter and Softer Clothes – The minerals in hard water cause colors to fade, and leave deposits on the fabric. Soft water prevents these adverse effects while actually brightening clothing and dissolving your detergent more effectively.
- Less Time Cleaning – Scrubbing and re-scrubbing chalky, spotty, and scumming surfaces is time-consuming and exhausting. Soft water fully dissolves and penetrates soap products, making them easy to simply rinse away.
FAQs on Soft Water
Why Choose Northeast Mechanical Services
We live and work in the same community you do, and our loyal customers also become our best friends. We provide reliable, upfront, and honest service and pricing so you can rest easy knowing we are on your side.
- Licensed & Insured – All of our products and technicians are licensed and insured. This means all of our work is guaranteed. Should anything go wrong, we won’t stop until we make it right.
- Transparency – All of our pricing, recommendations, and process steps are clearly explained for each job. We explain all repairs and installations in detail along with the pricing to make sure you understand what you are paying for.
- Unmatched Customer Service – We are in business to help you and our customers are our #1 priority. We understand our job is not done until you are 100% satisfied with your repair or installation.
- Reliable – You can count on us to find the best solution for your needs at the price that fits your budget in Fort Wayne, IN. We show up on time, discuss your options clearly, provide expert service and continue to follow up with each service to ensure you are satisfied.
Ready for Soft Water?
It is not an exaggeration to say that soft water will transform your entire home. Your clothes are cleaner (while using less soap), your hair is healthier (while using less shampoo), and your appliances are working better and more efficiently than ever.
If you’re looking for water softener installation, repair, or maintenance in Fort Wayne, IN give us a call today.